Amazon Prime Video App Launches on Freesat, Enhancing Platform's Hybrid Offering
London, UK – 16 December 2020 - Freesat, the UK’s free to air satellite TV service, has announced another high-profile app is joining the ever-growing and varied portfolio of content on its latest set top boxes. In an early Christmas present for customers, subscription video on demand service, Amazon Prime Video, will be added to the platform from today. Freesat continues to free consumers from the shackles of a costly monthly pay TV subscription.
Existing Prime Video customers will be able to open the app through Freesat to access thousands of hours of entertainment in the form of popular movies and TV shows, including Amazon Original Series such as The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur and The Grand Tour. Freesat customers who are not yet Prime Video customers can open the Prime Video app to sign up and enjoy a 30-day free trial.
Alistair Thom, CEO, Freesat commented, “Amazon Prime Video is a hugely welcome addition to the Freesat service. It’s the time of year when we all love to indulge in some time in front of the TV, perhaps more so in 2020 than ever before, so we’re pleased to be able to bring our customers plenty of new, high quality and bingeable content for them to enjoy.
Streaming services are of course going from strength to strength and the range of content that Prime Video brings to our existing free to air service allows us to offer our customers a unique hybrid service. They will have a virtually endless choice of content to pick from, all without being chained to paying a monthly pay TV subscription.”
December highlights on Prime Video include the premiere of teen survivalist adventure, The Wilds and romantic movie, After We Collided. Petrol Heads can also enjoy the latest special of The Grand Tour this month, The Grand Tour Presents: A Massive Hunt. There’s also a large choice of sports available. Prime Video will be the home of over 20 live and exclusive Premier League matches this December. This adds to a sporting line-up already including the ATP and WTA Tours, and US Open Tennis.
For further information, please visit: www.freesat.co.uk
Notes to Editors
Freesat is the UK’s subscription-free satellite television platform, offering brilliant free recordable TV, together with the latest streaming services, including catch-up and pay-as-you-go. First and foremost, we’re about giving our viewers content, choice and amazing value. But we’re also innovative, ambitious and agile, whether that’s adding new services on our platform, finding new ways to help the channels that work with us, or exporting our technology to broadcasters in new territories. We invest our profits back into the business, helping to maintain a great user experience for all our customers.
Established in 2007 by the BBC and ITV, Freesat reaches 2 million homes each week and is available via TV and set-top box. Our customers have access to a wide range of channels providing entertainment, news, and children’s programming and on-demand and catch-up favourites such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, YouTube and Netflix.
Our user interface and management platform, Metaphor, provides international TV companies with connected TV solutions. We are a founding member of the Free TV Alliance in Europe and in 2016 we launched an audience analytics and insight service in association with TVbeat.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device:
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think UK-produced Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour and All or Nothing: Manchester City, US hits like Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Homecoming; as well as exclusive TV shows like Star Trek: Picard, American Gods and Vikings; movies like the Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea, The Salesman, The Big Sick and Cold War; plus as well as live sport including ATP and WTA Tour and US Open Tennis and Premier League football, and self-published content. All available at no additional cost as part of Prime Video, which is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 70+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at Amazon.co.uk/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box including Virgin Media, TalkTalk and BT, game console, or select smart TVs. For a list of all compatible devices, visit Amazon.co.uk/watchanywhere.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with unlimited fast free delivery options on millions of items at Amazon.co.uk, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, and access to ad-free music and Kindle ebooks. To sign-up or start a free trial of Prime visit: Amazon.co.uk/prime
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit Amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.