Everything you need to know about 60th anniversary Doctor Who Specials
After Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor regenerated into none other than David Tennant (previously the tenth Doctor, and arguably one of the best Doctors in our humble opinion), Whovians are in for a treat this month as he reprises his role alongside Catherine Tate who returns as the iconic Donna Noble.
What are the new Doctor Who specials?
Get ready for three otherworldly adventures ahead of the new season of Doctor Who.
The Star Best
The first Doctor Who special, airing on 25 November on BBC One and BBC iPlayer at 6:30pm, will see the Doctor and Donna come face to face after years apart. After having her memories of being the Doctor’s companion in “Journey’s End” (Series 4 Episode 13), Donna’s past seems to be catching up with her and driving her towards the Doctor once more. But the question is how and why?
Wild Blue Yonder
The second anniversary special, Wild Blue Yonder, comes to BBC One and BBC iPlayer from Saturday 2 December.
The Giggle, which will air on BBC One and BBC iPlayer from Saturday 9 December completes the anniversary specials, all before Ncuti Gatwa is set to take on the role as the fifteenth Doctor.
When are the new Doctor Who Special episodes on?
The first episode airs on BBC One and iPlayer Saturday 25 November at 8pm, viewers can also watch on BBC iPlayer in the UK as well as globally on Disney+ (except in the UK and Ireland).
The subsequent episodes will air on the following Saturdays on 2nd December 2023 and 9th December 2023, with each of the three episodes being an hour long.
Viewers can switch over to BBC Three or BBC iPlayer to watch the access all areas show for extra insight into the creation of Doctor Who.
Who is in the anniversary specials?
- David Tennant returns as the Fourteenth Doctor
- Catherine Tate is back as Donna Noble
- Jacqueline King as returns as Donna’s mum – Sylvia Noble
- Yasmin Finney (Heartstopper) as Rose Noble
- Miriam Margolyes (The Age of Innocence and William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet) as the voice of the Meep
- Karl Collins (Attack the Block) as Shaun Temple
- Ruth Madeley (Don’t Take My Baby) as Shirley Anne-Bingham
- Jemma Redgrave (Love & Friendship and Holby City) as Kate Stewart
- Neil Patrick Harris (It’s a Sin and How I Met Your Mother) is set to cause all kinds of mayhem in his nefarious antagonistic role as the Toymaker
Ncuti Gatwa (Sex Education) is set to get the keys to the TARDIS and become the Fifteenth Doctor, ahead of the new season.
Feel like you need a recap of The Doctor and Donna’s escapades? Re-watch Season 4 for their adventures. Seasons 1 – 13 of Doctor Who are available to stream on BBC iPlayer.
Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter so you never miss the latest telly scoops.