Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV, providing UK customers with over 170 TV and radio channels, as well as On Demand and SVOD services. We reach over 2 million homes through a combination of set-top boxes and TV sets.
Freesat is continuously evolving the service to ensure that users receive the best possible subscription-free TV experience. Looking to the future, we are preparing for our next generation of STB and TV products, using latest technologies to enhance features and provide an experience that will keep us competitive for years to come.
Freesat has big ambitions and it’s an exciting time to join this small, vibrant company based in an attractive Central London location. This is a dynamic environment where innovation is rewarded and our agile environment means that we are constantly able to pursue new opportunities.
We have a generous reward package including a competitive salary, performance related bonus, healthcare, pension and life assurance. Through our employee wellbeing package we encourage and enable sustainable living for physical and mental health, continuous personal and professional growth and balanced lifestyle choices for every member of our Freesat team.
At Freesat we believe in championing the achievements of the individual but we’re also a team... and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and are valued as individuals.
Great ideas that drive innovation come from the commitment to making our workplace an equal and inclusive environment where all have the freedom to grow, learn and thrive. We offer content to the amazing and diverse British public and our workforce needs to mirror that diversity of background, thought and experience. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all; regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital or partnership status, pregnancy or maternity or religious beliefs.
The purpose of this role is to join the team in the development of our brand new set top box application. Working within a cross functional team the successful candidate will build innovative new features and continue to improve existing ones.
As well as continuing to improve our existing product offering via updates to our latest range of set top boxes, we’ll be looking at how we can use this same application across different hardware including set top boxes and televisions in the UK and abroad.
Our ideal candidate will have experience in developing applications using react that required integration with device middleware and a RESTful API backend.
- Be a senior engineer developing our react front end application for use on set top boxes and other devices
- Work closely with the product and other technology teams to design solutions and produce specification documents
- Produce high quality code taking a test driven development approach
- Work with stakeholders and suppliers
The successful applicant will work within a Cross Functional team of Front and Backend developers, Test Engineers, DevOps, Product and Delivery Manager. This role reports into the Head of Engineering.
Skills and Expertise
- Experience with agile working practices and tools such as jira / confluence
- Significant programming experience in key technologies, in particular:
- Extensive experience with React, HTML5, CSS3, and TypeScript
- Redux, Redux-Saga
- Npm (or Yarn)
- Jest - unit testing, e2e testing
- RESTful APIs
- Experience in design and deployment of DRM based IP solutions would be a distinct advantage
- Understanding of working with device middleware APIs
Behavioural Skills and Competencies
- Influencing – demonstrates an ability to persuade and convince others to follow a course of action to reach a successful outcome, using humility and recognition of others viewpoints
- Critical Thinking – identifies and analyses a situation, suggesting viable and pragmatic solutions to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Communication – expresses self in clear, succinct and compelling manner in both individual and group situations, builds constructive working relationships internally
- Planning & Organising – the ability to plan, organise and execute activities using own initiative
- Leadership – demonstrates a keen interest in developing others
Freesat is an equal opportunities employer
To apply for this role, please e-mail email@example.com attaching your CV, an application letter and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.