Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV, providing UK customers with over 200 TV and radio channels, as well as On Demand and SVOD services. We reach over 2 million homes through a combination of set-top boxes and TV sets.
Freesat is continuously evolving the service to ensure that users receive the best possible subscription-free TV experience. Looking to the future, we are preparing for our next generation of STB and TV products, using latest technologies to enhance features and provide an experience that will keep us competitive for years to come.
Freesat has big ambitions and it’s an exciting time to join this small, vibrant company based in an attractive Central London location. This is a dynamic environment where innovation is rewarded and our agile environment means that we are constantly able to pursue new opportunities.
We have a generous reward package including a competitive salary, performance related bonus, healthcare, pension and life assurance. Through our employee wellbeing package we encourage and enable sustainable living for physical and mental health, continuous personal and professional growth and balanced lifestyle choices for every member of our Freesat team.
At Freesat we believe in championing the achievements of the individual but we’re also a team... and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and are valued as individuals.
Great ideas that drive innovation come from the commitment to making our workplace an equal and inclusive environment where all have the freedom to grow, learn and thrive. We offer content to the amazing and diverse British public and our workforce needs to mirror that diversity of background, thought and experience. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all; regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital or partnership status, pregnancy or maternity or religious beliefs.
Working within a small, agile Product team the purpose of this role is to help Freesat deliver its ambitious roadmap; in particular maintaining and improving existing set top box products, and working towards the future device strategy. The role will also cover development of other Freesat products such as mobile, web and platform from time to time.
Achieving this requires collaboration with stakeholders across the business to define requirements and drive new features through the product lifecycle.
The Product Manager is responsible and accountable for definition and delivery of their products, roadmap and feature releases whilst meeting the needs of the business and being mindful of the technical factors and resource limitations.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Fulfilling the Product Owner role in an agile project delivery team
- Leading definition workshops with the product team, designers, technical architects, developers and other stakeholders
- Creating product specifications, including detailed requirements in the form of user stories and associated test/acceptance criteria
- Reviewing technical specifications and checking that these meet the business requirements
- Working with design resources to deliver the UX and design for new features
- Managing the resolution of technical issues that arise during product development, finding solutions that minimise impact on the business objectives
- Reviewing development software delivered to Freesat by 3rd parties and verifying compliance with the specifications
- Working with the QA team to support the development of test scripts, review issues raised and prioritise them
- Supporting planning of launches for customer facing products including preparing release information and internal communication / training
- Defining SOW documents for external development
In order to successfully perform the duties required, the Product Manager will need to:
- Analyse usage data and customer research to understand consumer attitudes and behaviour. Feed this insight into the product roadmap evolution
- Undertake market and competitor analysis to help inform the Freesat product development process
- Understand the Freesat business strategy and goals and be clear how the product evolution can help to deliver this
- Be a problem solver able to take in many data points and make informed decisions
- Communicate effectively to drive new features and ensure stakeholders and engaged
Skills and Expertise
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a product manager working to deliver digital products that meet customer and business needs
- Track record managing customer focused development to deliver innovative and compelling services
- Experience working in a fast-moving environment. (Experience within broadcast industry a benefit)
- Understanding of UI, navigation and usability
- Knowledge and understanding of the TV, mobile and online industry
- An ‘agile’ native but also able to operate in waterfall/rapid development environments
Personal Skills and Attributes
- A self-starter with the ability to perform in a high-pressure delivery environment
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams to manage input to product development
- Capability to understand technical concepts
- A good eye for detail and the ability to document accurately
- Passionate about television, media and technology
- Highly organised with an ability to anticipate issues before they impact workflows
- Strong problem analysis and resolution skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to make complexity simple for others to understand
- Strategic Thinking – ability to lead strategic discussions and plan for the long-term future with support from the head of product
- Influencing – demonstrates an ability to persuade and convince others to follow a course of action to reach a successful outcome
- Critical Thinking – identifies and analyses a situation, suggesting viable and pragmatic solutions to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Communication – expresses self in clear, succinct and compelling manner in both individual and group situations, builds constructive working relationships both internally and externally
- Planning & Organising – the ability to plan, organise and execute activities using own initiative and uses resources effectively and efficiently to balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
Freesat is an equal opportunities employer
To apply for this role, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your CV, an application letter and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.