Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV, providing UK customers with over 200 TV and radio channels, as well as On Demand and SVOD services. We reach over 2 million homes through a combination of set-top boxes and TV sets.
Freesat is continuously evolving the service to ensure that users receive the best possible subscription-free TV experience. Looking to the future, we are preparing for our next generation of STB and TV products, using latest technologies to enhance features and provide an experience that will keep us competitive for years to come.
Freesat has big ambitions and it’s an exciting time to join this small, vibrant company based in an attractive Central London location. This is a dynamic environment where innovation is rewarded and our agile environment means that we are constantly able to pursue new opportunities.
We have a generous reward package including a competitive salary, performance related bonus, healthcare, pension and life assurance. Through our employee wellbeing package we encourage and enable sustainable living for physical and mental health, continuous personal and professional growth and balanced lifestyle choices for every member of our Freesat team.
At Freesat we believe in championing the achievements of the individual but we’re also a team... and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and are valued as individuals.
Great ideas that drive innovation come from the commitment to making our workplace an equal and inclusive environment where all have the freedom to grow, learn and thrive. We offer content to the amazing and diverse British public and our workforce needs to mirror that diversity of background, thought and experience. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all; regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital or partnership status, pregnancy or maternity or religious beliefs.
The purpose of this role (Fixed Term Contract - 6 months) is to assist the Head of Legal & Compliance (sole counsel) in:
- (i) providing practical legal advice, analysis and support on matters impacting the Freesat business; and
- (ii) developing the legal function, including maintaining and drafting precedents, contract management and the delivery of legal updates and training.
This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to work in-house, perhaps for the first time in the media/entertainment industry. The role will enable the individual to get involved in a wide-ranging commercial matters, covering areas such as e-commerce, IP/IT, media, advertising, data protection and regulatory.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Your duties will be broad, but typically you will provide support and/or lead on:
- Commercial: Negotiating terms of sale/purchase with retailers and distributors, strategic business partnership agreements, and other agreements relating to the operation and administration of Freesat and sale of its products
- Advertising and Marketing: Review and advice on advertising copy and campaigns, compliance with PECR, competition terms and conditions, packaging and promotional materials, website/webstore copy, strategic partnership and marketing agreements
- Data Protection: Advice on data collection, subject access requests, processing and sharing practices, drafting and/or review of data processing agreements, updating of records, privacy and cookie notices, monitoring of on-going UK GDPR and PECR compliance.
- Consumer: E-commerce advice including advice on customer-facing terms and conditions and rights of redress, terms of purchase, warranty terms and responding to consumer complaints
- Content: Negotiating non-disclosure agreements, electronic programme guide and platform agreements with linear channels, catch-up TV and video-on-demand service providers.
- IT/IP: Software licence and development agreements, back-office contracts, dealing with trade mark protection and infringement
- Regulatory: Maintaining and developing internal policies, advice on product and packaging compliance, assisting with Ofcom regulatory enquiries
- Staying up-to-date with legal developments and key business information, keeping Head of Legal / Management Team informed about important issues
- Review and development of Freesat’s precedent agreements
- Educating and training other staff on legal and compliance issues
- Other ad hoc legal and compliance research, advice and support
- Content team
- Customer Experience team
- Marketing team
- Operations team
Skills and Expertise
- Fully qualified lawyer with 4+ years post qualification experience (although consideration will be given to applicants of all PQE)
- Current practising certificate
- In-house experience an advantage, but not a necessity
- Open to taking on responsibility for certain legal areas, contracts or clients
- Experience of successfully negotiating a variety of commercial agreements
- Ability to work on an independent basis
- Experience of balancing legal risk with practical commercial practice
Behavioural Skills and Competencies
- Organised, helpful, pro-active and curious self-starter
- Ability to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action
- Prioritises and plans work taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people and works co-operatively with others to form part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups
Freesat is an equal opportunities employer
To apply for this role, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your CV, an application letter and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.